Subject: Re: Composing git repositories

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 21:59:44 +0200

Am 02.04.2013 20:35, schrieb Ramkumar Ramachandra:
> Jens Lehmann wrote:
>> But I think we recently learned to support that use case with
>> submodules. I think there are two floating models:
>>
>> - Tracked:
>> [...]
>>
>> - Untracked:
>>   Some people just want "the newest" tip of a branch checked out in
>>   the submodule and update that from time to time (I suspect this
>>   is because they are used to SVN externals, which I believe work
>>   that way). You throw away reproducibility, which I think is not
>>   good and not the way I expect Git to work.
>> [...]
> 
> Nope, it has nothing to do with SVN externals; I've never used them.
> And no, all repositories aren't created equal.  I should be able to
> add in magit.git into my dotfiles repository without worrying about
> which commits the other repositories were at a particular commit.  If
> my project depends on the bleeding edge of poppler and girarra, I
> should always be able to tell what commits in each subproject the
> build was passing in.  In other words, I should be able to freely
> mixed floating and fixed submodules.  There's no reason for one to be
> Right, and the other to be a shunned second-class citizen.

But you can currently mix floating and fixed submodules, as each
submodule can be configured differently. Or am I missing something
here?