Subject: Re: Git/Mac refuses to install on OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 16:56:14 +0200

On 04/07/2013 03:55 AM, David Foster wrote:
> The default security settings on OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) disallow the
> installation of unsigned packages, with no override.
>
> Git/Mac 1.8.2 is not signed and therefore will not install without changing
> the OS default security settings.
>

Sounds like an OSX lockin bugture to me. If anyone can sign the package
with any random key, then it wouldn't provide much in the way of
security, so I guess that means one has to get a signing key form Apple,
which I doubt they just hand out to anyone (usually it means paying
$100 to get an "apple developer certificate). That's nonsense, ofcourse,
but it's how they've chosen to do business.

That aside; Does the package work if you reduce the security settings,
install it and then reset the security settings to their default
settings later? If so, I'd call that a reasonable workaround, and we
probably won't even have to document it since google should provide it
for git and a plethora of other useful packages.

Otoh, if enough osx folks want git on the latest pussycat, I'm sure
they'll provide a package themselves sooner or later, in which case
you just have to wait for that to happen.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.