Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/7] Rework git core for native submodules

From: Jakub Narębski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 13:51:58 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Ramkumar Ramachandra wrote:

>> 2. If we want to make git-submodule a part of git-core (which I think
>>    everyone agrees with), we will need to make the information in
>>    .gitmodules available more easily to the rest of git-core.

> Care to define "more easily" which is another subjective word?  The
> .gitmodules file uses the bog-standard configuration format that can
> be easily read with the config.c infrastructure.  It is a separate
> matter that git_config() API is cumbersome to use, but improving it
> would help not just .gitmodules but also the regular non-submodule
> users of Git.  There is a topic in the works to read data in that
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> format from core Heiko is working on.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BTW. this is something that I was missing to implement better
submodule support in gitweb (and thus git-instaweb) than just
marking it as submodule in 'tree' view.

-- 
Jakub Narębski