Subject: [PATCH] pretty: Fix bug in truncation support for %>, %< and %><

From: Ramsay Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 20:43:36 +0100

Some systems experience failures in t4205-*.sh (tests 18-20, 27)
which all relate to the use of truncation with the %< padding
placeholder. This capability was added in the commit a7f01c6b
("pretty: support truncating in %>, %< and %><", 19-04-2013).

The truncation support was implemented with the assistance of a
new strbuf function (strbuf_utf8_replace). This function contains
the following code:

       strbuf_attach(sb_src, strbuf_detach(&sb_dst, NULL),
                     sb_dst.len, sb_dst.alloc);

Unfortunately, this code is subject to unspecified behaviour. In
particular, the order of evaluation of the argument expressions
(along with the associated side effects) is not specified by the
C standard. Note that the second argument expression is a call to
strbuf_detach() which, as a side effect, sets the 'len' and 'alloc'
fields of the sb_dst argument to zero. Depending on the order of
evaluation of the argument expressions to the strbuf_attach call,
this can lead to assigning an empty string to 'sb_src'.

In order to remove the undesired behaviour, we replace the above
line of code with:

       strbuf_swap(sb_src, &sb_dst);
       strbuf_release(&sb_dst);

which achieves the desired effect without provoking unspecified
behaviour.

Signed-off-by: Ramsay Jones <[email-masked]>
---
 utf8.c | 4 ++--
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/utf8.c b/utf8.c
index b1e1303..0d20e0a 100644
--- a/utf8.c
+++ b/utf8.c
@@ -463,8 +463,8 @@ void strbuf_utf8_replace(struct strbuf *sb_src, int pos, int width,
 		w += n;
 	}
 	strbuf_setlen(&sb_dst, dst - sb_dst.buf);
-	strbuf_attach(sb_src, strbuf_detach(&sb_dst, NULL),
-		      sb_dst.len, sb_dst.alloc);
+	strbuf_swap(sb_src, &sb_dst);
+	strbuf_release(&sb_dst);
 }
 
 int is_encoding_utf8(const char *name)
-- 
1.8.2