Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/1] cygwin: Remove the Win32 l/stat() functions

From: Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 22:31:22 -0400

On 06/27/2013 06:58 PM, Ramsay Jones wrote:

> This is why I tried the "cygwin: Remove the Win32 l/stat()
> functions" patch first; I think this is the correct approach
> to fixing this problem (and similar *future* problems).
I adamantly agree.
> However, since that is no longer an option, on performance
> grounds, I have other ideas I want to try. (see later email)

Correctness first, speed later.

1) Keep the patch to remove the buggy and unreliable stat / lstat.
2) We fix the remaining test failures.
3) With the test suite passing, stat optimization(s) that cause no 
failures / regressions can be accepted.

With the msys/mingw git available for years now, there really is not a 
reason to make Cygwin's git violate the Posix expectations of that 
platform. msys makes no such promises, so is the right tool for those on 
Windows who just want git as fast as possible on Windows (still 
slooooow) and don't care about file modes, softlinks, etc.

I'm keeping your patch in my tree.

Mark