Subject: Re: [PATCH 7/7] push: document --lockref

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 22:21:33 +0200

Am 14.07.2013 21:17, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
> Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]> writes:
>> I actually think that by implying allow-no-ff in --lockref, you are
>> hurting users who have configured a push refspec without a + prefix:
>> They suddenly do not get the push denied when it is not a fast-forward
>> anymore.
> 
> Of course, that is why you should not use --lockref when you do not
> have to.  It is a tool to loosen "must fast-forward" in a more
> controlled way than the traditional "--force".

Sorry, IMO, this goes into a totally wrong direction, in particular, I
think that this is going to close to door to make --lockref the default
some day in a way that helps everyone.

I think I have not understood your motivations for this feature, and I
am not able spend more mindwidth on arguing back and forth to make it
more usable (again: IMO).

So, I bow out, and I appologize to have wasted so much of your time.

-- Hannes