Subject: Re: [PATCH] t3032 - make compatible with systems using \r\n as a line ending

From: Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 15:44:07 -0400

On 07/16/2013 02:59 PM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Mark Levedahl wrote:
>
>> Subtests 6, 7, and 9 rely test that merge-recursive correctly
>> ignores whitespace when so directed. Change the particular whitespace
>> sequences to be ones that are not known line endings so the whitespace
>> is not changed when being extracted by line oriented grep.
> merge-recursive needs to be able to deal with \r at EOL, too, so if at
> all possible I would prefer to see the test fixed to pass on Cygwin
> some other way.
>
> Thanks.
>
No line oriented tool is going to avoid this problem. I suppose someone 
with much more perl skill I possess could write a grep replacement 
explicitly using binary file modes to fix this. Or, the test could just 
check the sha1sum of text.txt against a prestored value, Or the test 
could use \r\n ONLY on systems that do not use that as a line ending 
mode. Or ...

Mark