Subject: Re: [PATCH] Cygwin has trustable filemode

From: Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 14:17:52 -0400

On 07/19/2013 12:40 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Thanks, will replace.
>
> What do we want to do with the compat/regex build-time switch?
>
> IIRC, this was only needed for 1.7 and not 1.5, and I also would
> expect (without anything to back-up, so this is more a faith than
> expectation) over time the "new library" would have a working regex
> library.
>

The situation is that Cygwin uses newlib rather than glibc, and does so 
for licesnsing reasons (redhat sells licenses to developers allowing 
closed source applications built using Cygwin). So, there must be a 
compelling need to fix the library - git has a simple work around, so 
isn't the case. Also, Cygwin has a perl regex library for those 
demanding more complete / correct regex solution. So, I make no 
prediction on when the newlib regex functions are fixed.

Related: Should we have separate settings for 1.5 and 1.7 for several 
variables? Conflicts I see not reflected in config.mak.uname on pu:
     trustable filemode   (1.7 has, 1.5 does not)
     MMAP/Pread (1.7 pread is thread safe, 1.5 I dont think was, MMAP 
utility is convolved in this)
     regex - 1.7 is broken, per Ramsay 1.5 works

If you think its worth it, I'll create a patch series with the above and 
justifications for the different settings that I know.

Mark