Subject: Re: [PATCHv3] git-tag man: when to use lightweight or annotated tags

From: Daniele Segato <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 19:33:01 +0200

stress the difference between the two with suggestion on when the user
should use one in place of the other.

Signed-off-by: Daniele Segato <[email-masked]>
---
  Documentation/git-tag.txt |    9 +++++++++
  1 file changed, 9 insertions(+)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-tag.txt b/Documentation/git-tag.txt
index 22894cb..495eb71 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-tag.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-tag.txt
@@ -42,6 +42,15 @@ committer identity for the current user is used to 
find the
  GnuPG key for signing. 	The configuration variable `gpg.program`
  is used to specify custom GnuPG binary.

+The tag objects (created with `-a`, `s`, or `-u`) are called 
'annotated' tags,
+they contains a creation date, the tagger name and e-mail, a tagging 
message
+and, eventually, the GNUPG signing and verification data. While a
+'lightweight' tag is simply a name for an object (usually a commit object).
+
+'Annotated' tag are meant for release while 'lightweight' tags are meant
+for private or temporary object labels, thus most git commands ignore
+lightweight tags by default.
+

  OPTIONS
  -------
-- 
1.7.10.4