Subject: Re: [PATCH] Remove deprecated OPTION_BOOLEAN

From: Stefan Beller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 20:18:51 +0200

On 07/29/2013 08:11 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> As of b04ba2bb4 OPTION_BOOLEAN was deprecated.
> 
> The primary purpose of b04ba2bb (parse-options: deprecate
> OPT_BOOLEAN, 2011-09-27) is to deprecate OPT_BOOLEAN(), which was
> hard to use correctly.
> 
> OPT_BOOLEAN() is not touched at all with this patch, it seems.  Do
> they want count-up semantics?
> 

I'm working on the OPT_BOOLEAN replacement as well, but the 
OPTION_BOOLEAN seemed as an easier start (way less until completion)

> At first glance, it looked to me that OPT_HIDDEN_BOOL was a good
> addition, given how often we have PARSE_OPT_HIDDEN.  While I think
> some of the hidden ones are justified, I am not sure if the hiding
> of many options are.  If we stop hiding many of them, HIDDEN_BOOL
> may become not so useful.  I dunno.

There should be no change in semantics.
All those which now use the OPT_HIDDEN_BOOL have had 
{OPTION_BOOLEAN,..., PARSE_OPT_HIDDEN}
before.

But your concern sounds more like you'd dislike the
appearance of OPT_HIDDEN_BOOL because you'd want to remove the
hidden options. The options being hidden there sound to me as if
those were hidden due to their historical nature and there is always
a non-hidden equivalent being better worded.

Stefan