Subject: Re: Officially start moving to the term 'staging area'

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 22:03:22 +0200

Am 29.08.2013 20:57, schrieb Felipe Contreras:
> Matthieu Moy wrote:
>> Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> Moreover, the --stage and --work
>>
>> --work alone sounds weird. At least to me, it does not immediately imply
>> "working tree". It is tempting to call the option --work-tree, but git
>> already has a global option with that name (git --work-tree=foo bar).
>
> Yes, --work sounds weird, but so does --cherry. I thought about --wt, but I
> felt --work was more understandable, and --work-tree doesn't really give much
> more value, except more characters to type =/

If you have a --work-tree option then parseopt accepts --work as well, 
unless it's ambiguous, i.e. another option starts with --work, too.  So 
you can have a descriptive, extra-long option and type just a few 
characters at the same time.

René