Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-compat-util: Avoid strcasecmp() being inlined

From: Sebastian Schuberth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 15:47:37 +0200

On 12.09.2013 23:31, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> And that's exactly what defining __NO_INLINE__ does. Granted, defining
>> __NO_INLINE__ in the scope of string.h will also add a "#define
>> strcasecmp _stricmp"; but despite it's name, defining __NO_INLINE__
>> does not imply a performance hit due to functions not being inlined
>> because it's just the "strncasecmp" wrapper around "_strnicmp" that's
>> being inlined, not "_strnicmp" itself.
>
> What I don't understand is why the header doesn't use "static inline"
> instead of "extern inline".  The former would seem to be better in
> every way for this particular use case.
>
> See also <http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/tech/inline.html>, section
> "GNU C inline rules".

I've suggested this at [1] now to see if such a patch is likely to be 
accepted.

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/42993

-- 
Sebastian Schuberth