Subject: Re: Has there been any discussion about resumable clones recently ?

From: Sitaram Chamarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 12:04:15 +0530

On 09/20/2013 04:48 AM, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> Hi all,
> First of all a big thank you to all for making git. With it being fast
> and cheap (in relation to bandwidth and sizes for subsequent checkouts
> as well as CPU usage) . Please CC me if somebody does answer this mail
> as I'm not subscribed to the list.
> 
> The thing I have been failures number of times while trying to clone a
> large repo. The only solution it seems is to ask somebody to make a
> git-bundle and get that bundle via wget or rsync and then unbundle it

Just want to mention that if the server is running gitolite, the admin
can set things up so that this is easy and painless, either for all
repos or just some specific ones.

Such repos can then be cloned like this:

    rsync -P git@host:repo.bundle .
        # downloads a file called "<basename of repo>.bundle"; repeat as
        # needed till the whole thing is downloaded
    git clone repo.bundle repo
    cd repo
    git remote set-url origin git@host:repo
    git fetch origin    # and maybe git pull, etc. to freshen the clone

(yes, I know this is not really a substitute for resumable clone; call
it a stop-gap until that happens!)