Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 1/5] pull: rename pull.rename to pull.mode

From: Richard Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 20:32:57 -0400

On 2013-10-11 19:56, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> Matthieu Moy wrote:
>> Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 9:21 PM, Jeff King <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 05:49:36PM -0500, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>> These deprecation warning messages should be written to stderr, and
>>>>>> should probably be prefixed with "WARNING: ".
>>>>>
>>>>> Is there any deprecation warning that works this way?
>>>>
>>>> The ones in C code typically use warning(), which will prefix with
>>>> "warning:" and write to stderr. They do not use all-caps, though.
>>>>
>>>> Try "git log --grep=deprecate -Swarning" for some examples.
>>>
>>> I'm asking about the ones in shell, because this is a shell script.
>>
>> No user cares whether "git pull" is written in shell. shell Vs C is an
>> implementation detail, stdout Vs stderr is user-visible.
> 
> You are free to go ahead and implement 'warning ()' in git-sh-setup.sh, in the
> meantime no shell script does that, and that's no reason to reject this patch
> series.

Sure, but is is a reason to reroll the patch series.  Maybe it's not a
strong enough reason on its own to reroll, but if you're going to reroll
anyway, this should be fixed.

-Richard