Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Oct 2013, #02; Mon, 14)

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 21:42:14 +0200

Am 15.10.2013 21:16, schrieb Jonathan Nieder:
> So I suspect this will fix more scripts than it breaks, though it may
> still break some. :/

Hmm, I'm really not sure if we should do this or not.

> It might make sense to warn when passed multiple arguments and some
> include shell metacharacters, since that's probably rare, too, except
> it's punishing people who use multiple arguments as a way to avoid
> quoting issues.  Probably there's no replacement for just advertising
> the change loudly and seeking out scripts it could break.

And maybe only change that on a major version bump where people should
not be terribly surprised about such a change in behavior and are more
likely to read release notes?

I've thought about issuing a warning on certain quoting patterns too,
but dismissed that for not helping much in the scripting case. E.g. at
$dayjob we have foreach commands running in the shell execution for
quite some jobs on our Jenkins server; nobody would see any warnings
there until we'd have the reason to dig deeper int the logs because
something breaks.