Subject: Re: [PATCH 04/15] api-remote.txt: correct section "struct refspect"

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 09:06:44 +0200

On 10/23/2013 08:43 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>>> Subject: Re: [PATCH 04/15] api-remote.txt: correct section "struct refspect"
> 
> refspect???

Thanks for catching the typo.

>> * Replace reference to function parse_ref_spec() with references to
>>   functions parse_fetch_refspec() and parse_push_refspec().
>>
>> * Correct description of src and dst: they *do* include the '*'
>>   characters.
> 
>  * Replace a single SP after a full-stop at the end of sentence with
>    double SP as if we were back in the typewriter age.

:-)

I agree it's archaic, but it is standard practice in English.

Also, emacs, with the default sentence-end-double-space setting, doesn't
treat punctuation followed by a single space as an end of sentence and
when reflowing text even goes to extra effort not to break a line at
such a position (because that would make it look like it *were* the end
of the sentence).

TeX also distinguishes between interword spaces and end-of-sentence
spaces, but it uses a different heuristic (which can be overridden by
explicit markup).  It also typesets them differently: end-of-sentence
spaces are a bit wider and more elastic.

Nevertheless it is probably good that there is no Unicode
END_OF_SENTENCE_SPACE character; otherwise we would never get *any* work
done for all the arguing about how to encode empty pixels :-)

> The last one made it hard to spot what actually got changed,
> though.  The updated text otherwise looks correct.

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/