Subject: Re: rcs

From: Jakub Narębski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 15:56:27 +0100

Finnerty, James M Mr CTR USA USASOC-SOAR wrote
> Jeff King [mailto:[email-masked]]wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 11:35:21AM -0500, Finnerty, James M Mr CTR USA USASOC-SOAR wrote:
>>
>>> Hi. I'm going to attempt to import a git database into Razor which is
>>> linux rcs based. Does the linux version of git use rcs ?
>>
>> No, the formats are completely different, and you will have to translate.
 >> We don't usually get requests to go from git to rcs; it usually goes
 >> the other way. :)

 >
 >    Thanks.  We have several systems using Razor right now. So we are
 > trying to get all the systems into one CM system. Razor is just a gui
 > that uses rcs commands. Once we get everything synced we will explore
 > our options for a complete development CM system.

The problem with using RCS as sync (as base) is that it is least
powerfull of VCS, and as far as I know do not offer place to store
extra information, so conversion from Git to RSS will lose some
information (committership, signed commits and signed merges, signed
tags, etc.).

There is a tool to create fast-import stream from RCS repository,
but I am not sure if there is reverse (fast-import is a common
intermediate fairly VCS_agnostic representation used for fast
conversion between different version control systems).

-- 
Jakub Narębski