Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 06/10] fast-export: add new --refspec option

From: Richard Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 02:39:50 -0500

On 2013-11-11 18:50, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> So that we can convert the exported ref names.
>>>
>>> Signed-off-by: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
>>> ---
>>
>> I thought that the discussion agreed this option should not be
>> called --refspec but something like --refmap?
> 
> I don't know what you agreed to,

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/237473

> but I didn't agree to anything.

Based on your silence I too thought that you had agreed.

> What you pass to this option is a refspec, so it makes sense to name
> the option --refspec.

As discussed in that thread, it's not really the same thing as a refspec
used in push or fetch.  In those commands, the refspec specifies two
separable things:  what to transfer, and how to translate refs names
between the remote and local repositories.  IIUC, the fast-export
--refspec argument only specifies how to translate ref names, not what
gets transferred.

If my understanding is correct, then I agree with Junio and Peff that
--refmap is a better name.

-Richard