Subject: Re: can we prevent reflog deletion when branch is deleted?

From: Sitaram Chamarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 16:26:46 +0530

On 11/14/2013 01:37 PM, Jeff King wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 08:56:07AM +0100, Thomas Rast wrote:
> 
>>> Whatever it was that happened to a hundred or more repos on the Jenkins
>>> project seems to be stirring up this debate in some circles.
>>
>> Making us so curious ... and then you just leave us hanging there ;-)

Oh my apologies; I missed the URL!!  (But Peff supplied it before I saw
this email!)

>> Any pointers to this debate?
> 
> I do not know about any particular debate in git circles, but I assume
> Sitaram is referring to this incident:
> 
>   https://groups.google.com/d/msg/jenkinsci-dev/-myjRIPcVwU/t4nkXONp8qgJ
> 
> in which a Jenkins dev force-pushed and rewound history on 150 different
> repos. In this case the reflog made rollback easy, but if he had pushed
> a deletion, it would be harder.

I don't know if they had a reflog on the server side; they used
client-side reflogs if I understood correctly.

I'm talking about server side (bare repo), assuming the site has
core.logAllRefUpdates set.

And I'll explain the "some circles" part as "something on LinkedIn".  To
be honest there's been a fair bit of FUDding by CVCS types there so I
stopped looking at the posts, but I get the subject lines by email and I
saw one that said "Git History Protection - if we needed proof..." or
something like that.

I admit I didn't check to see if a debate actually followed that post
:-)