Subject: Re: Git issues with submodules

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 21:20:06 +0100

Am 22.11.2013 17:12, schrieb Ramkumar Ramachandra:
> Jeff King wrote:
>>> I just checked it out: it uses `git ls-files -m` to get the list of
>>> unstaged changes; `git diff --name-only HEAD --` will list staged
>>> changes as well.
>>
>> That diff command compares the working tree and HEAD; if you are trying
>> to match `ls-files -m`, you probably wanted just `git diff --name-only`
>> to compare the working tree and the index. Although in a script you'd
>> probably want to use the plumbing `git diff-files` instead.
> 
> Thanks for that. It's probably not worth fixing ls-files; I'll patch
> Arcanist to use diff-files instead.

Good to have an short term solution for Sergey, but Heiko and I
discussed this issue and agreed that we should fix ls-files. After
all the user explicitly asked not to be bothered with submodule
differences by configuring the ignore setting.