Subject: gettext CTYPE for libc

From: Trần Ngọc Quân <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 09:15:50 +0700

Hello,

$ mkdir xyz
$ cd xyz
$ rmdir ../xyz
$ git status
fatal: Unable to read current working directory: Kh?ng c? t?p tin ho?c
th? m?c nh? v?y

So, somthing wrong with our charset.

$ strace git status 2>&1 | grep open
open("/etc/ld.so.cache", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
open("/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libz.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
open("/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
open("/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
open("/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
open("/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
open("/dev/null", O_RDWR|O_LARGEFILE)   = 3
open("/usr/lib/locale/locale-archive", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
open("/usr/share/locale/locale.alias", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
open("/usr/share/locale/vi_VN/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1
ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT
(No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/vi_VN/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) =
-1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/vi/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = 3
open("/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gconv/gconv-modules.cache", O_RDONLY) = 3

We will see, this string come from libc.mo
$ gettext --domain=libc "No such file or directory"
Không có tập tin hoặc thư mục như vậy

in git's gettext.c, it not allow CTYPE="" for all domain, so we will set
this one individually. In this ex. I set it for libc:

$ git diff
diff --git a/gettext.c b/gettext.c
index 71e9545..abd3978 100644
--- a/gettext.c
+++ b/gettext.c
@@ -115,6 +115,7 @@ static void init_gettext_charset(const char *domain)
        setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "");
        charset = locale_charset();
        bind_textdomain_codeset(domain, charset);
+       bind_textdomain_codeset("libc", charset);
        setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "C");
 }

And it work as I expect!

-- 
Trần Ngọc Quân.