Subject: Re: Git issues with submodules

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 19:44:33 +0100

Am 25.11.2013 22:01, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
> Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Looking good to me. Please add tests for "diff.ignoreSubmodules"
>> and "submodule.<name>.ignore", the latter both in .gitmodules and
>> .git/config. While doing some testing for this thread I found an
>> inconsistency in git show which currently honors the submodule
>> specific option only from .git/config and ignores it in the
>> .gitmodules file ...
> 
> Sorry, but isn't that what should happen?  .git/config is the
> ultimate source of the truth, and .gitmodules is a hint to prime
> that when the user does "git submodule init", no?

"git submodule init" only copies the "update" and "url" settings
to .git/config, all others default to the value they have in the
.gitmodules file if they aren't found in .git/config. This allows
upstream to change these settings unless the user copies them to
.git/config himself.