Subject: Re: I have end-of-lifed cvsps

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 10:43:23 +0100

On 12/19/2013 05:06 AM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>:
>> If you haven't tried cvs2git yet, please start it up somewhere in the
>> background.  It might take a while but it should have no trouble with
>> your repos, and then you can compare the tools based on experience
>> rather than speculation.
> 
> That would be a good thing.
> 
> Michael, in case you're wondering why I've continued to work on
> cvs-fast-export when cvs2git exists, there are exactly two reasons:
> (a) it's a whole lot faster on repos that aren't large enough to
> demand multipass,

What difference does speed make on little repositories?  They are fast
enough anyway.

If you are worried about the speed of testing and iterating on your
reposurgeon configuration, then just write the output of cvs2svn to a
temporary file and use the temporary file as input to reposurgeon.

> and (b) the single-whole-dumpfile output makes it a
> better reposurgeon front end.

I can't believe you are still hung up on this!  OK, just for you, here
it is: cvs2git-3.0, in gorgeous pipey purity:

    #! /bin/sh
    blobfile=$(mktemp /tmp/myblobs-XXXXXX.out)
    dumpfile=$(mktemp /tmp/mydump-XXXXXX.out)
    cvs2git-2.0 --blobfile="$blobfile" --dumpfile="$dumpfile" "$@" 1>&2 &&
    cat "$blobfile" "$dumpfile"
    rm "$blobfile" "$dumpfile"

I don't think that cvs2git-2.0 outputs any junk to stdout, but just in
case it does I've redirected stdout explicitly to stderr to avoid
commingling it with the output of this script.

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/