Subject: Re: Verifiable git archives?

From: Stefan Beller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 20:26:32 +0100

On 09.01.2014 04:10, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> It's possible, in principle, to shove enough metadata into the output
> of 'git archive' to allow anyone to verify (without cloning the repo)
> to verify that the archive is a correct copy of a given commit.  Would
> this be considered a useful feature?
> 

Do you know git bundles?

> Presumably there would be a 'git untar' command that would report
> failure if it fails to verify the archive contents.
> 
> This could be as simple as including copies of the commit object and
> all relevant tree objects and checking all of the hashes when
> untarring.
> 

I thought the git archive rather had the purpose of creating plain
archives not polluted with any gitish stuff.

> (Even better: allow subsets of the repository to be archived and
> verified as well.)

Stefan