Subject: Re: git quietly fails on https:// URL, https errors are never reported to user

From: Yuri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:28:11 -0800

On 01/16/2014 10:03, Jeff King wrote:
> We used to print "Reading from helper 'git-remote-https' failed" in this
> instance. But in the majority of cases, remote-https has printed a
> useful message already to stderr, and the extra line just confused
> people. The downside, as you noticed, is that when the helper dies
> without printing an error, the user is left with no message.

In my case it was some random misconfiguration of the libraries handling 
https that caused them to fail in some way silently. Full update of the 
supporting libraries fixed this. But previous forced git update didn't 
fix it.

I think your should bring back this printout. Errors only happen in a 
very low percentage of cases, and printing some more would be very 
helpful for troubleshooting. I am not sure what happened in 
git-remote-https, stream may have looked legit to it, or maybe it got 
some error from the supporting libraries and didn't report it. I can't 
tell now because I updated and the problem is gone.

Yuri