Subject: Anomalous AUTHOR and DOCUMENTATION sections in manpages

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 12:22:23 +0100

I just noticed that there are exactly four Git manpages with an "AUTHOR"
section and five with a "DOCUMENTATION" section:

    $ make doc
    $ grep -nIE -e '^\.SH "DOCUMENTATION|AUTHOR"' Documentation/*.[0-9]
    Documentation/git-column.1:80:.SH "AUTHOR"
    Documentation/git-for-each-ref.1:272:.SH "AUTHOR"
    Documentation/git-for-each-ref.1:275:.SH "DOCUMENTATION"
    Documentation/git-http-backend.1:404:.SH "AUTHOR"
    Documentation/git-http-backend.1:407:.SH "DOCUMENTATION"
    Documentation/git-notes.1:395:.SH "AUTHOR"
    Documentation/git-notes.1:398:.SH "DOCUMENTATION"
    Documentation/git-remote-ext.1:133:.SH "DOCUMENTATION"
    Documentation/git-remote-fd.1:71:.SH "DOCUMENTATION"

These sections are inconsistent with the other manpages and seem
superfluous in a project that has, on the one hand, a public history
and, on the other hand, hundreds of contributors.  Would the mentioned
authors (CCed) consent to the removal of these sections?

I don't want to step on any feet here.  If you want to keep these
sections, I have no objection.  But my guess is that people added them
in these few instances without realizing that these sections are not
commonly used in Git documentation.

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/