Subject: Re: [PATCH] pack-objects: turn off bitmaps when skipping objects

From: Siddharth Agarwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 15:53:28 -0800

On 01/23/2014 03:45 PM, Siddharth Agarwal wrote:
>
> The worry is less certain objects not being packed and more the old 
> packs being deleted by git repack, isn't it? From the man page for 
> git-index-pack:

This should probably be "new pack" and not "old packs", I guess. Not 
knowing much about how this actually works, I'm assuming the scenario 
here is something like:

(1) git receive-pack receives a pack P.pack and writes it to disk
(2) git index-pack runs on P.pack
(3) git repack runs separately, finds pack P.pack with no refs pointing 
to it, and deletes it
(4) everything goes wrong

With a keep file, this would be averted because

(1) git receive-pack receives a pack P.pack and writes it to disk
(2) git index-pack writes a keep file for P.pack, called P.keep
(3) git repack runs separately, finds pack P.pack with a keep file, 
doesn't touch it
(4) git index-pack finishes, and something updates refs to point to 
P.pack and deletes P.keep