Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 3/3] push: Add the --no-recurse-submodules option

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:12:34 +0000

Hi Semyon,

Am 18.02.2014 18:49, schrieb Semyon Perepelitsa:
> I noticed the option in the man-page but there is still no configuration option available. Did you forget to add it after all?

Nope, we just didn't implement it yet. ;-)

It's one of the topics on my submodule ToDo list:

  https://github.com/jlehmann/git-submod-enhancements/wiki

> Right now --recurse-submodules has little use by itself as the problem it solves is forgetting to push a submodule which is no different from forgetting to specify the option.

I'm currently busy working on another submodule related topic. But
if you are interested, adding the "fetch.recurseSubmodules" config
option in be254a0e and the "submodule.<name>.fetchRecurseSubmodules"
option in c1a3c364 should be good examples of how to add the
"push.recurseSubmodules" and "submodule.<name>.pushRecurseSubmodules"
config options.

I'll be glad to help in bringing this topic forward by discussing
ideas and reviewing patches. And I believe we should change the
default behavior of push (which is currently quiet about unpushed
submodule commits as you noticed) to either "check" or "on-demand"
(with my preference currently being slightly on the former, but I'm
happy to be convinced otherwise ;-).

Thanks
Jens