Subject: Re: git-svn fetch after tag conversion?

From: Torsten Bögershausen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 16:53:54 +0100

On 2014-02-21 15.42, Robert Dailey wrote:
> I'm converting a large SVN repository to a Git repository. I've run
> the first step of `git svn fetch` and now I have all of my branches,
> tags, and trunk. However my tags are still just branches, I have not
> converted them yet.
> 
> As I transition my team over to use Git, I wonder if it is possible to
> convert the tag-branches to real tags and still be able to do `git svn
> fetch` afterwards to continue to pull in changes. My goal is to have
> the git repository as ready as possible so that everyone can swap to
> it at once (and it'll be less downtime before i can push it to
> github). There are some scenarios I worry about:
> 
> - Will git re-fetch the tag-branches if they technically don't exist
> anymore (they would be real tags)?
> - What if a change is made to a tag, what will git-svn do?
> - New tags created, will those just create new tag-branches and I can
> convert them later?
> 
> Thanks in advance.
I stumbled over this as well.
As a tag and a branch is "the same" in svn, the best thing we can do
is to keep the svn tags as git branches, in the same way svn does.

Would it work if you make a script to tag the svn tags with a different name,
like "git_tag_v1.0" or so ?

Otherwise: just set up a test repo and see what happens ;-)