Subject: Re: [PATCH] config.mak.uname: use iconv from Homebrew on macOS

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2025 15:34:00 +0100

On 12/11/25 10:59 AM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
> Does anybody know if a purely vanilla installation of macOS, without
> any third-party software collection like homebrewk, is supposed to
> be even serviceable?  That is, if somebody at Apple builds a version
> of Git that they ship themselves (they do, don't they?), can they
> untar the latest tarball on a vanilla macOS box, type "make test",
> and expect it to pass?

It seems so.  https://opensource.apple.com/releases/ points to
https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/Git.  The latest tag is close
to v2.50.1:

$ git diff --stat -w v2.50.1 Git-155:src/git ':(exclude)*.git*'
 Documentation/fsck-msgids.adoc                   | 12 ------------
 Makefile                                         |  1 +
 attr.c                                           | 11 +++++++++++
 builtin/help.c                                   |  3 +--
 config.c                                         | 13 +++++++++++++
 config.h                                         |  3 +++
 generate-python.sh                               |  2 ++
 git-mergetool--lib.sh                            |  6 ++++--
 git-svn.perl                                     | 30 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 http.c                                           |  2 ++
 perl/header_templates/runtime_prefix.template.pl | 25 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
 sha1collisiondetection                           |  1 -
 t/t4014-format-patch.sh                          |  3 +--
 t/test-lib.sh                                    |  3 +++
 usage.c                                          | 20 ++++++++++++++++++++
 15 files changed, 116 insertions(+), 19 deletions(-)

Their top-level Makefile sets NO_GETTEXT, NO_FINK and NO_DARWIN_PORTS.

René