Subject: Students: Please only do one microproject!

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 22:20:09 +0100

Students,

Please don't solve more than one microproject.  Since the coding part is
such a small part of a microproject, doing many is not much more
impressive than doing just one.  And it takes quite a while to come up
with ideas for microprojects!  (I can already see that we are running
out and will need more...)

Rather, please pick one microproject and do it *perfectly*.  And after
you've done that, if you are still itching to do more, then get involved
in other ways, like

* Find *other* little (or big!) problems in the code and either fix them
or suggest them as additions to the list of microprojects for other
students to work on.

* Help review other people's patches--students' or anybody else's.  A
well-thought-out code review is a very valuable thing.

* Fix other things, like documentation.

* Answer questions on the mailing list or in IRC.

* Write tests for bugs that people report on the mailing list.

etc. etc.  In other words, do things that other people on the mailing
list do.

Thanks!
Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/