Subject: Re: Branch Name Case Sensitivity

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 10:49:52 +0100

On 02/28/2014 10:11 AM, Stephen Leake wrote:
> Karsten Blees <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> If I understand the issue correctly, the problem is that packed-refs
>> are always case-sensitive, even if core.ignorecase=true. 
> 
> Perhaps that could be changed? if core.ignorecase=true, packed-refs
> should be compared with case-insensitive string compares.

I think you are putting too much focus on what the local Git repository
does.  As soon as you pull content from somebody else, you are at the
mercy of the reference names that they have chosen.

In my opinion, a more fruitful approach is to have a pre-receive hook at
your central repository that prevents references that differ in case
only from being pushed in the first place.  As an extra convenience, you
can set your local repos up with a pre-commit hook that does the same
thing, so that developers (usually) see the problem immediately rather
than only when they try to push.

Of course, the pre-receive/pre-commit hooks could be even stricter by,
for example, allowing only lower-case branch names.

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/