Subject: Re: New directory lost by git am

From: Phillip Susi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 09:26:43 -0500

On 3/5/2014 3:10 AM, Chris Packham wrote:
> My example is creating a commit on the "temp" branch then applying
> it to the "master" branch using git am.
> 
>> Do a reset HEAD~1 --hard, and git clean -x -f -d before git am.
>> I didn't notice the missing file myself for some time because it
>> is left in the working tree, just not added to the index and
>> included in the commit.
>> 

Right... so the file is left in the directory, even though it is not
checked in.  A git status should show it is an unknown file, and a
clean should remove it.

> Regardless of reproducing the issue a quick glance at the Release
> notes for 1.8.3.3 the following sticks out:
> 
> Fixes since v1.8.3.2 --------------------
> 
> * "git apply" parsed patches that add new files, generated by
> programs other than Git, incorrectly.  This is an old breakage in
> v1.7.11.
> 
> Does that sound like your problem? If you can I'd suggest
> updating, ideally to the recent 1.9.0 release but if you're feeling
> conservative try 1.8.3.4.

Vaguely, except for the "other than git" part.  This patch was
generated by git-format-patch ( I didn't think apply handled patches
that weren't ).