Subject: Re: [PATCH] disable grafts during fetch/push/bundle

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 00:29:37 +0100

On 03/07/2014 12:01 AM, Philip Oakley wrote:
> From: "Jeff King" <[email-masked]>
>> On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 05:41:27PM +0100, Michael Haggerty wrote:
>>
>>> > We can wrap that in "git replace --convert-grafts", but I do not >
>>> think
>>> > grafts are so common that there would be a big demand for it.
>>>
>>> It's probably easier to wrap it than to explain to Windows users what
>>> they have to do.
>>
>> How would Windows users get a graft file in the first-place? There's no
>> GUI for it! ;)
> 
> Now, now... It's dead easy using the git-gui and Notepad++, you can see
> and confirm the sha1's, copy and paste, and the graft file is a very
> easy format, so even wimps (windows, icons, menus, pointers aka mouse)
> folks can do it. (It worked for me when I needed it ;-)

I didn't mean to insult all Windows users in general.  I was only
referring to the fact that since the default Windows command line is not
a POSIX shell, even an experienced Windows user might have trouble
figuring out how to execute a shell loop.  Putting this functionality in
a git command or script, by contrast, would make it work universally, no
fuss, no muss.

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/