Subject: Re: [PATCH v2.1] commit: add --ignore-submodules[=<when>] parameter

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 22:23:18 +0200

Am 01.04.2014 01:35, schrieb Ronald Weiss:
> On 1. 4. 2014 0:50, Ronald Weiss wrote:
>> On 31. 3. 2014 23:47, Ronald Weiss wrote:
>>> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> As Junio mentioned it would be great if you could teach the add
>>>> command also honor the --ignore-submodule command line option in
>>>> a companion patch. In the course of doing so you'll easily see if
>>>> I was right or not, then please just order them in the most logical
>>>> way.
>>>
>>> Well, if You (or Junio) really don't want my patch without another one
>>> for git add, I may try to do it. However, git add does not even honor
>>> the submodules' ignore setting from .gitmodules (just tested with git
>>> 1.9.1: "git add -u" doesn't honor it, while "git commit -a" does). So
>>> teaching git add the --ignore-submodules switch in current state
>>> doesn't seem right to me. You might propose to add also support for
>>> the ignore setting, to make "add -u" and "commit -a" more consistent.
>>> That seems like a good idea, but the effort needed is getting bigger,
>>
>> Well, now I actually looked at it, and it was pretty easy after all.
>> The changes below seem to enable support for both ignore setting in
>> .gitmodules, and also --ignore-submodules switch, for git add, on top
>> of my patch for commit.
> 
> There is a catch. With the changes below, submodules are ignored by add even if explitely named on command line (eg. "git add x" does nothing if x is submodule with new commits, but with ignore=all in .gitmodules).
> That doesn't seem right.
> 
> Any ideas, what to do about that? When exactly should such submodule be actually ignored?

Me thinks git add should require the '-f' option to add an ignored
submodule (just like it does for files) unless the user uses the
'--ignore-submodules=none' option. And if neither of these are given
it should "fail with a list of ignored files" as the documentation
states.