Subject: Re: [PATCH 02/22] try_merge_strategy(): remove redundant lock_file allocation

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 12:53:57 +0200

On 04/01/2014 09:56 PM, Jeff King wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 05:58:10PM +0200, Michael Haggerty wrote:
> 
>> By the time the "if" block is entered, the lock_file instance from the
>> main function block is no longer in use, so re-use that one instead of
>> allocating a second one.
>>
>> Note that the "lock" variable in the "if" block used to shadow the
>> "lock" variable at function scope, so the only change needed is to
>> remove the inner definition.
> 
> I wonder if this would also be simpler if "lock" were simply declared as
> a static variable, and we drop the allocation entirely. I suppose that
> does create more cognitive load, though, in that it is only correct if
> the function is not recursive. On the other hand, the current code makes
> a reader unfamiliar with "struct lock" wonder if there is a free(lock)
> missing.

Yes, a single lock_file object should suffice.  I will make this change
in the next version of the patch series.

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/