Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 2/2] commit: add --ignore-submodules[=<when>] parameter

From: Ronald Weiss <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 22:19:12 +0200

On 8. 4. 2014 20:43, Jens Lehmann wrote:
> Am 08.04.2014 01:03, schrieb Ronald Weiss:
>> Git commit honors the 'ignore' setting from .gitmodules or .git/config,
>> but didn't allow to override it from command line, like other commands do.
>>
>> Useful <when> values for commit are 'all' (default) or 'none'. The others
>> ('dirty' and 'untracked') have same effect as 'none', as commit is only
>> interested in whether the submodule's HEAD differs from what is commited
>> in the superproject.
> 
> Unless it outputs a status message, then 'dirty' and 'untracked' do
> influence what is shown there. Apart from that (and maybe tests for
> these two cases ;-) this is looking good to me.

Hm, You mean the status message, which is pre-inserted as comment into
the commit message, when opening an editor to write the commit message?

OK, that really makes a difference, although really small and actually
affecting nothing. I'll take it into account. But are You sure the tests
for this would be actually useful? If only effect of them would be
increasing time needed to run the full test suite, then it's better to
not have them :-). But I can do that, if You still think it's useful.