Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] WinGit - native x86/x64 Git for Windows

From: Sebastian Schuberth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 22:56:57 +0200

On 19.04.2014 15:35, Marat Radchenko wrote:

> But in practice, msysgit is:
>   1) outdated msys that was patched in multiple ways without
>    sending patches upstream

It's not true that we are not sending patches upstream to MSYS, see [1]. 
It's just that most of them don't get included due to a lack of time 
from the MSYS maintainers, see e.g. [2].

>   2) heavily patched git, again not upstreamed

"Heavily" is relative, in fact it's not that much that I would give up 
hope on getting everything upstream. We once had put large efforts in 
bringing our stuff to upstream Git, just to over and over again being 
pulled into fussy discussions, costing way more time than developing the 
patches themselves. So at some time most of us just decided to spend 
their time more efficiently by bringing Git for Windows forward.

> To be honest, msys isn't a great tool. After all, it's just outdated
> and heavily patched cygwin. There exists msys2 project (much less outdated and much less patched cygwin).

I agree that MSYS is not at all that great (anymore). It simply does not 
seem to be well maintained. But neither do I trust MSYS2 (yet), which 
looks to me like a spare time project by one or two guys, both newcomers 
not part of the original MSYS team. However, if MSYS2 turns out to be 
maintained better than MSYS in the future, I'm open to base 
mingwGitDevEnv on MSYS2.

> 1) It makes sense to purge msysgit and start over. See mingwGitDevEnv [2] (by msysgit developer).

You would have been very welcomed to contribute 64-bit support to 
mingwGitDevEnv (which I'm the maintainer of). I saddens me that we blow 
out our energy on forks (without even getting in touch first) instead of 
pulling together.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/search/?q=msysgit
[2] http://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/1823/

-- 
Sebastian Schuberth