Subject: Re: Project idea: strbuf allocation modes

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 11:09:20 +0200

On 04/22/2014 09:07 AM, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>>     STRBUF_OWNS_MEMORY
>>
>>         The memory pointed to by buf is owned by this strbuf.  If this
>>         bit is not set, then the memory should never be freed, and
>>         (among other things) strbuf_detach() must always call xstrcpy().
> 
> I just foresee a small difficulty from the caller side:
> 
>             char path_buf[PATH_MAX];
>             char *detached;
> 
>             struct strbuf path;
> 
>             strbuf_wrap_preallocated(&path, path_buf, 0, sizeof(path));
>             ...
>             detached = strbuf_detach(&path);
> 
> the wrapping/unwrapping of path_buf magically turned a stack-allocated
> buffer into a heap-allocated one. And the initial goal of avoiding
> malloc() is defeated. So, essentially, one should avoir using
> strbuf_wrap_preallocated with strbuf_detach, right?

Correct; it wouldn't bring any performance advantages.  But
strbuf_detach() should be implemented for such strbufs for completeness
so that after the strbuf is instantiated, users don't have to know its
allocation mode.

>                                                      But I agree with
> Junio that if the API is properly used, everything should work. I'm just
> worried that we will add a bit more complexity to the API, and I'm not
> sure we can actually expect noticeable improvements in terms of
> performance (i.e. do we actually use strbuf for performance-critical
> stuff?).

The whole point of the change is to *allow* strbuf to be used in
performance-critical stuff.

> In your proposal, would STRBUF_OWNS_MEMORY be a constant, or a flag that
> change when the internal buffer needs reallocation? My understanding is
> that it should change (if STRBUF_FIXED_MEMORY is not set), and the
> strbuf wrapping a preallocated buffer would become a "normal" strbuf
> when its internal buffer grows.

Correct.  STRBUF_OWNS_MEMORY itself is of course a constant like 0x02 (a
mask to set/clear a bit in the flags) but the corresponding flags bit
would sometimes be changed internal to the strbuf implementation.  For
example, if the buffer is grown past its original size (when
STRBUF_FIXED_MEMORY is not set) the bit would be set.

After strbuf_detach(), there would be no automatic way to re-attach such
a strbuf to its original heap-allocated memory.  So in this situation
the buffer would have to be pointed at strbuf_slopbuf again, and the
STRBUF_OWNS_MEMORY bit would be cleared again.

> If so, your "strbuf_detach() must always call xstrcpy()" is to be
> understood as "if STRBUF_OWNS_MEMORY is still set when strbuf_detach()
> is called, then it must always call xstrcpy()", right?

Exactly.

How does the size of this project compare to what you are looking for
for your Ensimag students?

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/