Subject: Re: git send-email doesn't work with IPv6 and STARTTLS

From: Matthias-Christian Ott <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 22:44:22 +0200

On 05/01/14 20:05, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> Matthias-Christian Ott wrote[1]:
> 
>> git send-email uses Net::SMTP connections that use STARTTLS. Net::SMTP
>> does not support IPv6. I patched Net:SMTP to use IO::Socket::INET6 and
>> it worked.
> 
> Thanks for reporting.
> 
>  1. What version of Net::SMTP do you use?

Included in Perl:

Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 16 subversion 3) configuration:

  Platform:
    [...]
    hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define
    useithreads=undef, usemultiplicity=undef
    useperlio=define, d_sfio=undef, uselargefiles=define, usesocks=undef
    use64bitint=undef, use64bitall=undef, uselongdouble=undef
    usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
  Compiler:
    [...]
    intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=1234
    d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=12
    ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t',
lseeksize=8
    alignbytes=4, prototype=define
  Linker and Libraries:
    [...]
    libs=-lnsl -lgdbm -ldb -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc -lgdbm_compat
    perllibs=-lnsl -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc
    [...]
  Dynamic Linking:
    [...]

Characteristics of this binary (from libperl):
  Compile-time options: HAS_TIMES PERLIO_LAYERS PERL_DONT_CREATE_GVSV
                        PERL_MALLOC_WRAP PERL_PRESERVE_IVUV USE_LARGE_FILES
                        USE_LOCALE USE_LOCALE_COLLATE USE_LOCALE_CTYPE
                        USE_LOCALE_NUMERIC USE_PERLIO USE_PERL_ATOF
  Locally applied patches:
	gentoo/EUMM-RUNPATH - https://bugs.gentoo.org/105054
cpan/ExtUtils-MakeMaker: drop $PORTAGE_TMPDIR from LD_RUN_PATH
	gentoo/EUMM_delete_packlist - Don't install .packlist or perllocal.pod
for perl or vendor
	gentoo/config_over - Remove -rpath and append LDFLAGS to lddlflags
	gentoo/cpan_definstalldirs - Provide a sensible INSTALLDIRS default for
modules installed from CPAN.
	gentoo/cpanplus_definstalldirs - Configure CPANPLUS to use the site
directories by default.
	gentoo/create_libperl_soname - https://bugs.gentoo.org/286840 Set
libperl soname
	gentoo/drop_fstack_protector - https://bugs.gentoo.org/348557 Don't
force -fstack-protector on everyone.
	gentoo/enc2xs - https://bugs.gentoo.org/338802 Tweak enc2xs to ignore
missing @INC directories
	gentoo/mod_paths - Add /etc/perl to @INC
	gentoo/patchlevel - List packaged patches for perl-5.16.3(#1) in
patchlevel.h
	gentoo/aix_soname - aix gcc detection and shared library soname support
	gentoo/solaris-relocation - Fix lddlflags for solaris
	gentoo/opensolars_headers - Add headers for opensolaris
	gentoo/cleanup-paths - Cleanup PATH and shrpenv
	gentoo/usr_local - Remove /usr/local paths
	gentoo/hints_hpux - Fix hpux hints
	gentoo/darwin-cc-ld - https://bugs.gentoo.org/297751 darwin: Use $CC to
link
	gentoo/mint - [perl #89502] Mint fixes
	gentoo/interix - Fix interix hints
	fixes/maketext-code-execution - [1735f6f] http://bugs.gentoo.org/448632
Fix misparsing of maketext strings.
	fixes/cgi-cr-escaping - https://bugs.gentoo.org/443446 CR escaping for
P3P and Set-Cookie headers
	debian/cpan-missing-site-dirs - https://bugs.gentoo.org/422981 Fix
CPAN::FirstTime defaults with nonexisting site dirs if a parent is writable

[...]

>  2. Would you be willing to contribute your patch to Net::SMTP upstream,
>     for example by mailing it to [email-masked] with
>     the string "[rt.cpan.org #93823]" somewhere in the subject line[2]?

I just did s/INET/INET6/g. I don't know Perl, so I guess Seffen Ullrich
could help here more than I can.

Regards
Matthias-Christian