Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 00/42] Use ref transactions for all ref updates

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 14:57:30 +0200

On 05/01/2014 10:37 PM, Ronnie Sahlberg wrote:
> This patch series is based on next and expands on the transaction API. [...]

Meta-comment:

Ronnie,

It seems like successive versions of this patch series are growing not
only in maturity but also in breadth.  That makes it harder to review them.

I, for one, would prefer that a patch series cover a roughly fixed set
of changes [1], so that all of the patches in a version of the series
are at roughly the same level of maturity.  That way, the whole series
can progress from "is this a good idea?" to "is the implementation
correct?" to "are all the details right?" at roughly the same time, and
then Junio can merge the branch, locking in that bit of progress.  While
this is happening, other series can be making their way through other
stages of the pipeline.

When new patches are added to an old series, then they delay the merge
of the older patches, even if those are ripe.  Plus, it makes it harder
for reviewers to keep track of the maturity level of each patch and to
read off how the older patches have changed.  It makes the patch series
a moving target.

There's no need to re-split this patch series, but please take this wish
into account in the future.

Thanks,
Michael

[1] Of course, if a patch series has to grow to make the *existing*
changes correct, then that's perfectly OK.

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/