Subject: Re: Pull is Mostly Evil

From: Richard Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 11:39:02 -0400

On 2014-05-03 06:00, John Szakmeister wrote:
> FWIW, at my company, we took another approach.  We introduced a `git
> ffwd` command that fetches from all remotes, and fast-forwards all
> your local branches that are tracking a remote, and everyone on the
> team uses it all the time.  It should be said this team also likes to
> use Git bare-metal, because they like knowing how things work
> out-of-the-box.  But they all use the command because it's so
> convenient.

I also wrote a script to fast-forward all local branches to their
configured upstream refs.  I finally got around to uploading it
somewhere public:

   https://github.com/richardhansen/git-update-branch

I use it in my 'git up' alias:

   git config --global alias.up \
       '!git remote update -p; git update-branch -a'

If there's interest I can tweak the style to conform to
Documentation/CodingGuidelines and stick it in contrib/ or something.

-Richard