Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] Add an explicit GIT_DIR to the list of excludes

From: Jakub Narębski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 20:53:18 +0200

W dniu 2014-05-27 19:16, Pasha Bolokhov pisze:
>>> Add GIT_DIR to the list of excludes in setup_standard_excludes(),
>>> while checking that GIT_DIR is not just '.git', in which case it
>>> would be ignored by default, and that GIT_DIR is inside GIT_WORK_TREE
>>>
>> gives git-grep.txt and git-ls-files.txt. I don't know if we need to
>> add something about this extra exclude rule to those .txt. If it's so
>> obvious that this should be the expected behavior, then probably not.
>
>      I suggest this. There appears to be a notion of "standard
> excludes" both in the code (dir.c) and in the man pages (git-grep,
> git-ls-files). However, it doesn't actually appear to be defined
> strictly speaking. So my suggestion is to define those "standard
> excludes" in one place (say "gitignore(5)"), and make other man pages
> (git-config, git-grip, git-ls-files) have references to that place
> instead of explaining every time in detail what is being excluded.

Or define those "standard excludes" in standard-excludes.txt "partial",
and include said file from git-grep(1), git-ls-files(1), and perhaps 
gitignore(5).

-- 
Jakub Narębski