Subject: feature request - implement a "GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL" equivalent, but processed BEFORE .gitconfig

From: Nathan Neulinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 13:19:17 -0500

Four related feature requests/ideas:

1. equivalent to GIT_*_EMAIL/NAME vars, but processed only if git config doesn't set values

Right now, there isn't any way to have a systemwide profile script that tries to determine a better default for the user 
name/email values, such as in the case of shared logins. The best I've been able to do for now is use the 'EMAIL' var.

Use case in my environment - most shared-login accounts are accessed via krb5 login, so it provides a nice way to set a 
better default for "who is doing this commit" than just the userid.

2. Setting option to user.name (or other setting) that would BLOCK the commit from occurring at all if it would 
otherwise fall back to defaults. I thought this previously worked by setting an empty value, but apparently doesn't work 
that way in current versions.

3. Setting option to user.name/user.email to prompt, SVN-style, for the name/email. Yes, this would be 
annoying/obnoxious to use normally, but intent is to avoid un-named "root@host" commits that would otherwise occur from 
user being lazy.

4. (This would accomplish all of the above) - enhance the include.path option to support the "!" syntax similar to what 
aliases can do. i.e.

[include]
    path = !/usr/local/bin/gen-git-env

or

[include]
    cmd = /usr/local/bin/gen-git-env

-- Nathan

------------------------------------------------------------
Nathan Neulinger                       [email-masked]
Neulinger Consulting                   (573) 612-1412