Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC v2 02/19] rebase -i: reword complains about empty commit despite --keep-empty

From: Fabian Ruch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 20:02:40 +0200

Junio C Hamano writes:
> Fabian Ruch <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Subject: rebase -i: reword complains about empty commit despite --keep-empty
> 
> I had to read the title and then the log twice before understanding
> that the above is not "change the complaint message" (i.e. "reword
> complaints" spelled incorrectly) but is a description of the current
> behaviour (i.e. "the command complains when 'reword' is used on an
> empty commit") that is not accompanied by an evaluation ("ok, it
> complains; are you saying it is a good thing or a bad thing?") or an
> action ("if it is a bad thing, what are you doing about it?").
> 
> Perhaps
> 
> 	rebase -i: allow rewording an empty commit
> 
> or something?

I thought "...despite --keep-empty" would already imply that "reword
complains about empty commit" is not supposed to happen, the action
would have been obvious. However, I understand that --keep-empty is
first of all concerned with which commits of $upstream...$orig_head end
up on the initial to-do list and the git-rebase manual page doesn't
mention that it picks commits using the --allow-empty option. It is
simply a necessity of a script not to complain about something it put on
the to-do list itself.

The subject reads now

    rebase -i: allow rewording an empty commit without complaints

trying to convey that this is not a new feature but a bug fix.

   Fabian