Subject: Re: [PATCH v1 1/3] dir.c: coding style fix

From: Karsten Blees <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 20:57:56 +0200

Am 15.07.2014 00:30, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
> Karsten Blees <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> From: =?UTF-8?q?Nguy=E1=BB=85n=20Th=C3=A1i=20Ng=E1=BB=8Dc=20Duy?=
>>  <[email-masked]>
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
>> Signed-off-by: Karsten Blees <[email-masked]>
>> ---
> 
> Thanks for forwarding.   I'll fix-up the Yikes (see how these two
> lines show the same name in a very different way), but how did you
> produce the above?  Is there some fix we need in the toolchain that
> produces patch e-mails?
> 

Hmmm...I simply thought that this is how its supposed to work. Mail
headers can only contain US-ASCII, so the RFC 2047 Q-encoded-word
generated by git-format-patch looked good to me.

It seems git-mailinfo doesn't handle line breaks in header lines in
the mail body. I.e. if you remove the LF in the 'From:' line,
everything is fine, despite the Q-encoding.

Now, 'git-format-patch --from' seems to work around the problem, but
only for the 'From:' line. AFAICT there's no such option for
'Subject:', e.g. if you want to paste a patch after a scissors line,
you're on your own (see the example in the git-format-patch(1)
discussion section, with 'Subject:' both Q-encoded and line-wrapped).

Perhaps it should be clarified that git-format-patch output is not
suitable for pasting into mail clients? Or it should print headers
in plain text and let git-send-email handle the conversions?