Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] sha1_file: do not add own object directory as alternate

From: Ephrim Khong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 08:47:43 +0200

On 15.07.2014 21:48, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Ephrim Khong <[email-masked]> writes:
>> +test_expect_success setup '
>> +	GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY=.git//../.git/objects &&
>> +	export GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY &&
>
> Do you need this artificially strange environment settings for the
> problem to manifest itself, or is it sufficient to have a
> non-canonical pathname in the info/alternates file?

The test should check the normalization of both the paths in 
info/alternates and of GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY, so I'd prefer to leave it 
in. It is not necessary to reproduce the original problem, though.

> Exporting an environment early in the test and having later tests in
> the file depend on it makes it harder to debug when things go wrong,
> than leaving an info/alternates file in the repository, primarily
> because the latter can be inspected more easily in the trash
> directory after "t7702-*.sh -i" dies, hence the above question.

That sounds reasonable. The variable is not required at the 
initialization anyway, so I'll set it right before the actual test and 
wrap it into a subshell to make debugging easier.