Subject: Syncing Git Repositories

From: Sajan Parikh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 21:26:07 -0500

On all my laptops and desktops, I have a directory at /home/sajan/Code 
where all my active projects and repositories live.

/home/sajan/Code/repository1
/home/sajan/Code/repository2
/home/sajan/Code/repository3

...etc...

Up until now I've relied on pushing and pulling to and from my Gitlab 
server to keep my projects in sync across all my laptops and desktops.  
It's worked great.

However, today I decided to add my code folder to my ownCloud server and 
sync it across all my laptops and desktops the same way I do for 
/home/sajan/Documents, /home/sajan/Music, and a few application config 
directories to keep all my devices in sync.

By syncing my code folder and git repositories in this way, do I risk 
borking any repositories?  I'm 99% confident I'm not, since everything 
is in .git/, and there are not external databases or log files that need 
to be updated.  Just making sure though.

I'm only doing this because sometimes I forget to pull changes down from 
my Gitlab server on a different laptop or desktop and start making local 
changes.  Which is fine, I can merge easily, but if everything were 
sync'd automatically when I logged into my computer it would be great.

Another option I thought of would be to write a bash script that 
executed at login and went into each of my repositories and ran git 
pull, but I decided against this because of legitimate non-fast-forward 
merges.

TLDR;

If I sync my repositories across computers using something similar to 
Dropbox, rather than pushing/pulling to and from an central repository, 
am I risking borking any respository?

-- 
Sajan Parikh