Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] Allow the user to change the temporary file name for mergetool

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 22:36:53 +0200

Am 19.08.2014 19:15, schrieb Robin Rosenberg:
> Using the original filename suffix for the temporary input files to
> the merge tool confuses IDEs like Eclipse. This patch introduces
> a configurtion option, mergetool.tmpsuffix, which get appended to
> the temporary file name. That way the user can choose to use a
> suffix like ".tmp", which does not cause confusion.

I have a merge tool that does syntax highlighting based on the file
extension. Given this:

> +	BACKUP="./$MERGED.BACKUP.$ext$tmpsuffix"
> +	LOCAL="./$MERGED.LOCAL.$ext$tmpsuffix"
> +	REMOTE="./$MERGED.REMOTE.$ext$tmpsuffix"
> +	BASE="./$MERGED.BASE.$ext$tmpsuffix"

I guess I lose syntax highlighting if I were to use mergetool.tmpsuffix;
but then I don't use Eclipse. Could it be that this is really just a
band-aid for Eclipse users, not IDEs in general as you are hinting in
the Documentation of the new variable?

-- Hannes