Subject: git stash -u deletes directories containing ignored files

From: Cyrille Truchot <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 16:08:49 +0200

Hey there,

I'm sure you've already heard about this because this is referenced on 
the web, but I cannot find anything about it on GitHub in the open 
issues nor in the fixed ones.

I'm working with Git for Windows, version 1.8.3.
The .gitignorefile contains a line like this : 'mydirectory/*'.
A new file is added in 'mydirectory' (but it's not showing with git 
status as it is ignored).
Let's say I want to stash several other files (tracked and untracked) 
and I use git stash -u.
The directory 'mydirectory' is then purely deleted, and not stashed. So, 
unrecoverable.

This happens only if thhe start is present in the .gitignore, because 
'mydirectory/' behaves normally.

So is there an open issue about this, or better, maybe it's already 
fixed in the latest versions ?
Thanks in advance for your reply, and many apologies if it's not relevant.

Someone else has described the bug here:
http://blog.icefusion.co.uk/git-stash-can-delete-ignored-files-git-stash-u/

Regards,
Cyrille